It's February and you've decided to put your fitness plans on hold. You exercised enough in January, right? Plus, classes are expensive, jogging outside isn't really your thing, and you have the whole year to get fit. Well, I have just the thing to spice up your routine, add some excitement to your fitness life, and help you shed that unwanted weight. Drum role please...the jump rope!
Remember the jump rope? Your favorite schoolyard game as a child. Guess what? It's no longer just for kids anymore. It has become a form of exercise favored by many because it's effective, fun and inexpensive!
Surprising Health and Exercise Benefits of Jumping Rope You May Not Know About
Yes, by simply jumping rope regularly, you can get a full body workout and enjoy countless health benefits and here are a few of them.
Health Benefits of Jumping Rope
- Jumping rope improves bone health. Jumping rope is a weight-bearing exercise making it great for improving bone density, building bones and keeping them strong.
Fitness Tip: Focus on low-impact jumping first and then gradually increase the intensity of your jump-rope workout.
- Jumping rope improves brain health. Because you need to time your footwork with your arm and shoulder movements when you skip, jumping rope is one exercise that’s good for your brain and boosts hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, memory and balance.
Fitness Tip: Make jumping rope a daily habit to exercise your brain.
- Jumping rope improves cardiovascular health. Incorporating rope jumping into a simple exercise routine is great for your heart and your circulation. The cardiovascular benefits of jumping rope for a few minutes very similar to what you’ll get from swimming and jogging.
Fitness Tip: If you can, start by jumping rope 5 to 10 minutes once a day and then increase the frequency as tolerated.
- Jumping rope improves strength, stamina and endurance. Since it requires efficient breathing and the use of your lower and upper body, jumping rope is great for building strength, stamina and endurance. It will help boost your performance of daily tasks and physical activities throughout the day.
Fitness Tip: Using the interval method, jump rope for 1 minute at a high intensity and recover for 1 min. Repeat this for 10 sets to get a great workout.
- Jumping rope is great for weight loss. Jumping rope is a great exercise for weight loss because it burns calories fast.
Fitness Tip: Jump rope for half an hour each day to burn at least 300 calories.
Not convinced yet? Here are some other reasons why top trainers, athletes, and fitness enthusiast from all over love the jump rope.
- It is so simple with very basic and easy-to-learn techniques.
- It doesn’t require special or expensive equipment.
- It’s a great starting point for any fitness routine.
- It improves athleticism, endurance, speed, agility, balance, coordination and performance making it ideal for sports training.
- It’s fun and livens up a tedious and boring exercise routine.
- It helps prevent knee, ankle and foot injuries.
- It’s great for defining arm, shoulder, chest, leg and calf muscles.
Just like other forms of exercise, I would like to emphasize the importance of proper technique and safety when jumping rope. You must learn the basics.
The Basics of Jumping Rope
1. Observe proper jump rope length.
- Handles should be at armpit level when you’re holding them while stepping on the middle of the rope.
- Lift your feet a few inches (1 to 2 in.) off the floor.
- Land on the balls of your feet and not on your heels.
- Let both legs absorb the impact.
3. Turn the rope properly.
- Use your wrists and forearms when turning the jump rope.
- Keep elbows clipped to your sides to avoid moving your shoulders.
4. Choose an appropriate location for your workout.
- Use a well-ventilated area with lots of ceiling space.
- Jump on a flat surface, preferably wooden floors.
5. Never overtire yourself.
- Stop or reduce intensity as necessary.
6. Wear the appropriate exercise footwear and clothing.
- Invest in good quality proper-fitting athletic shoes, preferably running shoes.
- Wear comfortable, non-restrictive clothing appropriate for exercise.
Ready to reap the many health and exercise benefits of jumping rope? Reach for a jump rope and start skipping and jumping your way to health and fitness!