TOP 5 TIPS TO KEEP YOUR WAISTLINE FROM GOING INTO THE RED ZONE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.
It’s that time of the year again! No, I’m not talking about the time of year when you are forced to hang out with your in-laws and partake in family photos. I’m definitely not talking about the time of year when you try NOT to offend someone of a different religion and say things like, “Merry CH..CH…oh crap … Happy .. wait, are you Jewish?”
It’s that time of year when Mr. Weight Gain is creepily watching you from the corner of every holiday party ready to tempt you with chocolate covered everything, gravy slathered tur-duck-en, and cinnamon flavored mocha frap milkshakes. Before I tell you how to avoid the red zone, let me enlighten you with 4 daunting nutrition facts about the holiday season:
- Research has found that Americans eat approximately 44% more calories during holiday gatherings.
- The average holiday meal consists of 3000 calories.
- A small cup of Starbucks’ famous Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha weighs in at 450 calories.
- Candy Canes will cost you about 110 calories. FYI the US produces 2 Billion of those sugar sticks per year.
Not to FRET! This holiday food Grinch has 5 tips to keep your waistline in check, your scale on the low end, and resist your grandma’s command to “EAT!”
- DON’T GO TO THE MEAL HUNGRY! Despite what you may think, not eating breakfast because you are preparing for the last supper works against you. This causes your metabolism to slows down and will likely DOUBLE your calorie consumption for the day.
TIP: Eat a high fiber breakfast to stave off hunger for the remainder of the day and prevent overeating. You will make better food choices if you are not starving.
- BRING YOUR OWN DISH! “I hate Aunt Carols fruitcake!” You know what? So does everyone else, but you can take a play from Aunt Carol by bringing your own dish.
TIP: Control what goes in it. You won’t be forced to eat unhealthy foods because you brought something with you. Plus, your healthy dish might inspire a few others.
- AVOID SNACK TRAYS! Snacks are like that annoying neighbor two houses down the street. Keep your distance!
TIP: Avoid the snack trays filled with nuts, cheeses, dried fruit, etc. Most of the time you will snack on these because you are bored. Steering clear of the snack foods will save you 300-600 calories.
- USE THE 30 MINUTE RULE! What’s the 30 minute rule? Get to the party, family gathering, or the office get-together and wait 30 minutes before you eat anything.
TIP: Grab a bottle of water or a sparkling beverage and wait before you start nibbling. Chances are your cravings will have subsided and/or everything will be gone.
- DON’T SKIP THE GYM! The holidays are tough with travel and family coming to town, which might reduce the number of days you go to the gym, but shouldn’t eliminate it altogether.
TIP: If you can’t make it to the gym, fear not, a 30-minute brisk walk, a basketball game with dad or tossing the pig skin around will boost your metabolism and help control your appetite.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Wow, Danny you must be a real pleasure to be around you during the holidays!” Well, my wife says I am pretty fun to be around. Trust me though, if you take my advice, you’ll be thanking me later when you try and put those summer jeans on. Either way, there will be more food for me and that’s really why I wrote this article.